This Melon Smoothie is healthy, refreshing and delicious! Make it a cantaloupe smoothie or use honeydew as shown here. You’ll love it!
Way back in 2014, when I launched my blog, this melon smoothie recipe was one of my first posts.
The photos were unfortunate.
The smoothie was awesome.
It’s still one of my summer favorites! I wait for canteloupe and honeydew to be in season just so I can make this for breakfast.
Either type of melon works here, or you can use a little of both! I made a honeydew smoothie for the photos.
Like nearly all of my smoothie recipes, this one is vegan — there are no animal products involved. I use either almond milk or cashew milk as the base.
But regular dairy milk also would work, if you don’t need this to be vegan. Use what you enjoy.
I originally called this a “melon creamsicle smoothie” because it has a creamy, vanilla vibe that complements the melon taste. The banana is there for texture, but it’s not overpowering.
You might be wondering about the walnuts. You can omit them if needed, but they bring protein and wonderful flavor to smoothies. Plus, they provide great nutritional benefits and help to reduce bad cholesterol and inflammation.
Sign me up!
How to cut a cantaloupe or honeydew melon
- Wipe the outside of the melon clean with a damp paper towel.
- Place a dish towel underneath your cutting board (affiliate link) to keep it from sliding around.
- Place the melon on the cutting board and use a long, sharp knife to cut it in half, from stem to root end.
- Scoop out the membrane and seeds with a spoon and discard them.
- Place a melon half face down on the board and cut it vertically into 1.5-inch-wide slices.
- Use a small knife to cut off the skin and a bit of the dark flesh of the fruit, which you will discard.
- Cut each slice into chunks. (You’ll just need one slice to get 2/3 cup of melon chunks for this recipe.)
Blend it up!
Add all the ingredients into a Vitamix (affiliate link) or other blender and give it a whirl until smooth. This makes one large serving, but you could divide it into two smaller glasses if needed.
I drink the whole thing myself.
I’m not sharing…but I’ll make you your own!
(Recipe source: Cooking with Mamma C. Originally published on June 1, 2014 and updated now with new photos and text.)
Melon Smoothie with Cantaloupe or Honeydew
- 1 ripe, peeled banana (broken in half )
- 2/3 cup honeydew or cantaloupe melon chunks
- 1/4 cup shelled walnuts
- 1 cup almond milk (or cashew milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- If starting with a whole melon, wipe it clean with a damp paper towel. Place a dishtowel under your cutting board to keep it steady. Place the melon on the cutting board. Use a long, sharp knife to cut the melon in half, from stem to root end. Scoop out the membrane and seeds with a spoon and discard them.
- Place a melon half face down and cut it vertically into 1.5-inch wide slices. Take one of the slices and use a small knife to cut off the skin and a bit of the dark flesh of the fruit, which you will discard. Cut the remaining slice into chunks, until you have 2/3 cup.
- Place ingredients into a blender, cover, and mix on high speed until smooth.