You just need 10 minutes and three ingredients to make these Cream-Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Walnuts! Make them for an easy appetizer, quick snack or gluten-free dessert. They're addictive!
I have to introduce you to a beloved tradition in my husband's family.
These cream cheese dates appear during the holidays like clockwork. And they disappear quickly as everyone stuffs their faces with them!
It all started when my mother-in-law's Aunt Nancy worked for a wealthy family in Greenwich, CT. She noticed these being served at fancy parties, and told Mom C that rich people eat dates stuffed with cream cheese and walnuts.
So, of course, Mom C had to try them! And the rest is history.
(If you love date appetizers, don't miss these bacon-wrapped dates!)
You just need three ingredients and a knife!
You get the candy-sweetness from the dates combined with the creamy texture of the cheese and the crunch of the walnut half adorning each one. They're as simple and delicious as can be.
Easy as 1-2-3
Cut a slit in each date, spread on the cream cheese and press on a walnut half. Done!
They're so easy to make, you can get the kids involved too. Just be prepared for every third one going into their mouths instead of on the serving tray.
And the adults are just as guilty. I'm looking at you, Honey!
- If you need these for a party, buy extra ingredients, because several of these will get eaten before they even make it to the tray!
- Buy the dates already pitted to save yourself time and hassle. No need to make this complicated!
- Fill the dates as close to the serving time as possible, because the cream cheese will get dry after a while. Cover and refrigerate them until you're ready to serve.
- Place the walnut with the curly side up, so it looks nicer.
Frequently asked questions
I've tried these with pecans and cashews but much prefer the taste of walnuts here.
You could try making these with sunflower seeds instead of nuts.
Block-style cream cheese is the most sturdy and works best for these dates, but you could use whipped cream cheese in a pinch.
Friends, these stuffed dates with cream cheese are the perfect elegant appetizer or healthy, gluten-free snack. Whether you serve them on a platter (affiliate link) at fancy-pants parties, eating them with your pinky in the air, or stand around the kitchen in sweat pants stuffing your face, I hope you enjoy them!
More appetizers you'll love
Don't miss these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms with Cream Cheese, Mushroom-Feta Rolls, or this Spinach-Ricotta Pie. And, if you prefer cheesy dips, you have to try this Asiago Spinach and Artichoke Dip and this Clams Casino Dip!
Cream-Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Walnuts
- 1 9.5 ounces container of pitted dates
- 1 8 ounces block of cream cheese (We use full-fat for parties & low-fat for snacking)
- 50 shelled walnut halves
- Using a small serrated knife (with teeth), make a slit into each date, creating an opening. Using a butter knife or spreader, fill the dates with about a teaspoon of cream cheese, smoothing the tops. Press a walnut half (curly side facing up) into the cream cheese on each date.
- Serve immediately or store the dates in the refrigerator, covered in a plastic container until later. Note that the cream cheese will start to dry out after awhile, so fill the dates as close to serving time as possible for best results. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
(Recipe Source: My mother-in-law, who got it from her Aunt Nancy, who saw rich people eating these for dessert. Originally published on September 25, 2014 and updated now with new photos and text.)