We're hooked on this Sweet and Savory Butter Pecan Cheese Log! It's the perfect appetizer spread for your next gathering or casual dinner at home! Easy and gluten free.
If you need a great appetizer or want something delicious to nosh on all evening, don't miss this pecan cheese log! It's sweet, savory and so addictive.
You're going to want to make this, pronto.
Here's the lineup: You'll chop some pecans and toast them in a pot with melted butter, brown sugar and a bit of Worcestershire. Then, you'll whip up a cream cheese and cheddar filling accented with smoky flavor, garlic and a nice touch of peppery heat.
You'll shape that cheese log and press that sweet butter pecan crust all over it. You can let it chill to firm up or dig in while it's still soft and creamy.
Flat pretzels or squares pair really well with this spread, but gluten-free rice crackers work too.
Choose whatever you don't mind eating lots of, because this butter pecan cheese log is absolutely divine. I haven't eaten so much during a photo shoot since that time I made White and Dark Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn.
This cheese spread isn't overly spicy, but if you have kiddos who are sensitive to cayenne pepper, you might want to make them a little, mild cheese log before you add the cayenne to the grown-ups' version. I don't think anyone's going to want to miss out on this one.
More appetizers you'll love
- Cream-Cheese Stuffed Dates with Walnuts
- Baked Parmesan Jalapeño Poppers with Prosciutto
- Asiago Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Seven-Layer Taco Dip from Scratch
(Recipe Source: Cooking with Mamma C, inspired by a cheese log recipe I saw in an online forum years ago)
Sweet and Savory Butter Pecan Cheese Log
Butter Pecan Crust
- 4 ounces pecan halves (chopped; 1 cup chopped)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces cream cheese (low-fat is fine)
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (see Notes)
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar
- Flat pretzels or crackers of your choice
- Chop your pecans and shred your cheese, if needed.
- Cut up your butter and add it to a small sauce pan over medium heat. Let it start to melt and then stir in your pecans, brown sugar and Worcestershire. Continue stirring and let the mixture come to a boil. (It should take a couple minutes, but make sure you don't burn your pecans.) Take the pan off the heat right away and let it sit while you make your cheese filling.
- In a medium or large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to whip your cream cheese, Liquid Smoke and seasonings.
- Stir in your cheddar with a spoon.
- Scoop your butter pecan mixture onto a sheet of foil about 11 or 12 inches wide and spread the nuts out a bit in a horizontal rectangle.
- Gather your cheese filling into a ball and place it onto another sheet of foil about 11 or 12 inches wide. Use your hands to shape the cheese filling into a log about 8 inches long and even on top. Wash your hands well.
- Make sure your pecan mixture isn't still hot (you don't want it to melt the cheese), but it can be a bit warm. Use your clean hands to carefully transfer the cheese log onto the pecan mixture. Use your hands to scoop up some nuts and cover the log, gently pressing the coating into place. Try to cover any bare spots.
- Wrap the cheese log in the foil and chill it in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to firm it up before serving (if you can bear waiting).
- Serve with flat pretzels or crackers of your choice. Store leftovers wrapped in the refrigerator.