Sometimes, I want my smoothies to taste like dessert. As in, a decadent, chocolate shake that reminds me of late nights at Denny’s with my girlfriends in high school.
I’ve had this chocolate-covered pecan banana smoothie for breakfast five times in the last week. I think I could drink it every day for a month and not get tired of it. Good thing it’s actually healthy and vegan.One time, I even added 1/4 cup of blueberries to the smoothie, and that added a whole new level of fantastic flavor. (I wouldn’t recommend any more blueberries than that, though, because the fruity taste will overpower the chocolate.)
This originally started as a chocolate-covered peanut banana smoothie (which also is delicious and better than just adding peanut butter), but I’m out of peanuts. And while I usually don’t care for pecans in my fruity smoothies (walnuts work better), I had to try the pecans with chocolate.
Oh my, I’m so glad I did.
(Recipe Source: Cooking with Mamma C)
Chocolate-Covered Pecan Banana Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana (peeled and broken in half)
- 1/4 cup shelled pecans (or peanuts)
- 1 cup almond milk (light is fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup ice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix, stopping once to scrape the cocoa from the sides of the blender container. Continue mixing until smooth.