If you love chocolate shakes, you'll love this Healthy Chocolate-Banana Smoothie with Pecans! It tastes decadent but is vegan and sugar free!
Sometimes, I want my healthy smoothies to taste like dessert.
This one reminds me of a decadent chocolate shake, the kind I used to order during late nights at Denny's with my girlfriends.
Except, this healthy chocolate smoothie is sugar free, dairy free and accented with pecan flavor. Yum!
I could drink this every day for a month and not get tired of it. I hope you love it!
You just need five ingredients, plus ice. Make sure your banana is ripe, or you may need to add sweetener.
Frequently asked questions
Sure, if you don't need this to be vegan.
You can certainly try it! It's not bad with cashew milk, but I prefer it with almond milk. I've never tried it with oat milk.
Yes, that's delicious too!
How to make it
Dude, just throw your ingredients into the blender and mix! I use my Vitamix (affiliate link), which calls for placing the ice cubes on top.
- You'll need to stop the blender once to scrape the cocoa from the sides of the container to get it all mixed in.
- For a more fruity option, try this smoothie with ¼ cup blueberries added.
I hope you love this chocolate-banana smoothie recipe as much as I do! And if you love the chocolate-pecan combo, don't miss these Chocolate-Pecan Meringue Cookies!
More healthy smoothies to enjoy
Healthy Chocolate-Banana Smoothie with Pecans
- 1 ripe banana (peeled and broken in half)
- ¼ cup shelled pecans (or peanuts)
- 1 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened, but regular works too. See notes for substitutions.)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup ice (if using a frozen banana, just use 5 ice cubes)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix, stopping once to scrape the cocoa from the sides of the blender container. Continue mixing until smooth.
- If your banana isn't ripe, you may need to add sweetener.
- I've also made this smoothie with cashew milk, which works, but I prefer the flavor of almond milk here. I've never tried it with oat milk. You could even use dairy milk, if you don't need this to be vegan.
- For a fruity variation, you can add ¼ cup of blueberries. Any more than that will overpower the chocolate.
- You can use peanuts instead of pecans for a delicious, chocolate-peanut butter variation.
(Recipe Source: Cooking with Mamma C. Originally published on July 30, 2014 and updated now with new photos and text.)