If you love chocolate shakes, you'll love this Healthy Chocolate-Banana Smoothie with Pecans! It tastes decadent but is vegan and sugar free!
Sometimes, I want my healthy smoothies to taste like dessert.
This one reminds me of a decadent chocolate shake, the kind I used to order during late nights at Denny's with my girlfriends.
Except, this healthy chocolate smoothie is sugar free, dairy free and accented with pecan flavor. Yum!
I could drink this every day for a month and not get tired of it. I hope you love it!
You just need five ingredients, plus ice. Make sure your banana is ripe, or you may need to add sweetener.
Frequently asked questions
Sure, if you don't need this to be vegan.
You can certainly try it! It's not bad with cashew milk, but I prefer it with almond milk. I've never tried it with oat milk.
Yes, that's delicious too!
How to make it
Dude, just throw your ingredients into the blender and mix! I use my Vitamix (affiliate link), which calls for placing the ice cubes on top.
- You'll need to stop the blender once to scrape the cocoa from the sides of the container to get it all mixed in.
- For a more fruity option, try this smoothie with ¼ cup blueberries added.
I hope you love this chocolate-banana smoothie recipe as much as I do! And if you love the chocolate-pecan combo, don't miss these Chocolate-Pecan Meringue Cookies!
More healthy smoothies to enjoy
You also might like my chocolate-cherry smoothie, this apple-cinnamon smoothie and this healthy vanilla Frappuccino. Or go for the espresso smoothie with banana!
Healthy Chocolate-Banana Smoothie with Pecans
- 1 ripe banana (peeled and broken in half)
- ¼ cup shelled pecans (or peanuts)
- 1 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened, but regular works too. See notes for substitutions.)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup ice (if using a frozen banana, just use 5 ice cubes)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix, stopping once to scrape the cocoa from the sides of the blender container. Continue mixing until smooth.
- If your banana isn't ripe, you may need to add sweetener.
- I've also made this smoothie with cashew milk, which works, but I prefer the flavor of almond milk here. I've never tried it with oat milk. You could even use dairy milk, if you don't need this to be vegan.
- For a fruity variation, you can add ¼ cup of blueberries. Any more than that will overpower the chocolate.
- You can use peanuts instead of pecans for a delicious, chocolate-peanut butter variation.
(Recipe Source: Cooking with Mamma C. Originally published on July 30, 2014 and updated now with new photos and text.)
I love the combination of flavors! This is such a perfect smoothie!
Hi Toni - I love this too! Thank you.
Enjoyed this for breakfast this morning and it did not disappoint! Such a great way to start my day!
Hi Sara - I'm glad to hear that!
Mmmm i love that there are pecans in this! And that it's sweetened with banana. Yum!
Hi Katherine - The pecans are so good in this!
So simple and satisfying this is a perfect start to the day! I love smoothies in the morning and it's a perfect reset for the body.
Hi Catherine - Yes! I have smoothies six days a week for breakfast.
What a delicious smoothie combo. My family would love it. Pinned to make this soon.
Hi Kushigalu - Thank you! Enjoy.
Cheryl "Cheffie Cooks" Wiser
Ah Denny's I see them all over Florida! Good breakfast I hear. Loveeeee smoothies make them all the time. This one does sound super decadent! How many did you say had? The calories hang them up and go for it. Best, Cheryl.
I only have one smoothie per day for breakfast, and this one clocks in at 320 calories (using Silk Light 40-calorie Almond Milk).Yay!
Cheryl "Cheffie Cooks" Wiser
Ah, that is not bad at all Andrea. I was thinking about the weight loss you shared with us not too long ago. Going to give this one a try 'cause I love smoothies! Best, Cheryl.