This Cinnamon-Apple Smoothie with Oats tastes like apple pie but is vegan, gluten free and guilt free! Enjoy this apple-banana oatmeal smoothie for a nutritious breakfast that includes two servings of fruit!
Have I mentioned I drink healthy smoothies for breakfast at least five days a week? A fruit smoothie in the morning means this Italian girl can indulge on pasta, and maybe even dessert, later in the day.
It's a beautiful thing.
This apple pie smoothie tastes creamy, refreshing and decadent, but is vegan, gluten free and contains no added sugar. You're going to love it!
Ingredients in this apple banana smoothie
- A ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
- An apple - Fuji apples are my favorite, but you can use whatever kind you like.
- Almond milk - I use plain, unsweetened almond milk (30 calories per cup) in all my smoothies. Sweetened almond milk also works, and you could use dairy milk for a non-vegan option.
- Oats - I use raw, rolled oats. Plain, quick-cooking oats also should work. Don't use steel-cut oats here, because they won't blend as well.
- Walnuts - Shelled walnuts provide delicious flavor...think of an apple crisp!
- Vanilla extract - I add vanilla to most of my smoothies, since I buy plain almond milk. If you're using vanilla almond milk, you could probably skip the extract, but a little splash won't hurt.
- Cinnamon - Apple-cinnamon is one of my favorite combinations. (If you love it too, don't miss this Jewish apple cake.)
- Allspice - This is optional, but adds a warm spice accent.
- A sprinkle of salt - Since the nuts are unsalted and the oats are plain, this adds a little somethin-somethin to make the apple milkshake flavor pop.
- Ice - Use a heaping half cup if your banana isn't frozen. If using a frozen banana, just add 5 ice cubes.
How to make an apple smoothie
You just need to peel a banana and break it half. Cut a clean apple into wedges, leaving the skin on. You can do this with a paring knife or an apple corer/slicer (affiliate link).
Add all the ingredients to a high-powered blender and mix until smooth. I use my Vitamix (affiliate link), which makes perfectly smooth drinks.
Can you put raw oats in a smoothie?
I've been adding raw, rolled oats to my smoothies for years. It adds fiber and helps me feel full longer.
If you own a Vitamix, you can add the oats with the other ingredients. You'll have to blend the smoothie a bit longer than you would normally.
If you don't have a Vitamix, you should add the oats to the blender first and pulse them a few times to break them up. Note that if you need this to be a gluten-free smoothie, you must use gluten-free oats.
More vegan smoothie recipes
And if, you prefer smoothies with no banana, you might like this refreshing strawberry-grape smoothie.
P.S. You might like my hubby's Apple Pie Moonshine!
(Recipe Source: Cooking with Mamma C. Originally published as Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Smoothie on September 17, 2015 and updated now with new photos and text. )
Cinnamon-Apple Smoothie with Oats
- 1 ripe banana (See notes if using a frozen banana.)
- 1 apple with skin (cut into wedges)
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened or regular)
- ⅓ cup rolled oats (use gluten free if needed)
- ¼ cup shelled walnuts
- ⅓ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 3 sprinkles allspice (optional)
- 1 sprinkle salt
- ½ cup ice (Heaping ½ cup. If using a frozen banana, just use 5 small cubes.)
- Peel the banana and break it in half. Rinse and pat dry your apple. Cut the apple into wedges using a paring knife or an apple corer/slicer.
- If you don't have a Vitamix, start by placing the oats in your blender and pulsing them a few times to break them up.
- Place all ingredients in the blender. Blend until smooth and you can't detect the oat texture. (If you have a Vitamix, you can insert the tamper through the lid to push the fruit into the blades while blending.)
- If using a frozen banana, just add five small ice cubes or a couple large ones.
- I use raw, rolled oats in this recipe. Plain, quick-cooking oats also should work. Don't use steel-cut oats here, because they won't blend as well.
- This makes enough for two glasses, but I usually drink the whole thing. The calories listed are for the full batch, but if you only drink half, it has 266 calories.