Who the heck drinks out of a mason jar? I’m cracking up over here, because I told myself when I started blogging that I wouldn’t do the old-smoothie-in-a-mason-jar trick. It’s so cliché! But this jar was staring at me from my cupboard, so I put my apple cinnamon oatmeal smoothie in it, just for kicks. It doesn’t take much, folks.
If I seem a bit giddy, it’s probably because my daughter came home last weekend to “pick up some clothes.” It was just what we needed! My heart is still full; her closet…not so much. When I raided it yesterday to find something to wear, I only found Homecoming dresses, Halloween costumes, Prom gowns and over-the-top dance recital outfits. Perfect! I’m sure I won’t attract any attention at my business-casual meetings.
Back to this smoothie. This one’s a lovely fall breakfast that’s healthy as can be. It’s got two servings of fruit, plus oats, walnuts, almond milk, and delicious spices (the allspice rounds everything out beautifully). It tastes so good and really energizes me, unlike pancakes, which leave me dragging. This recipe makes enough for two (that whole amount you see in the mason jar), but I drink it all myself. Out of a glass.
(Recipe Source: Cooking with Mamma C)
- 1 ripe banana (peeled and broken in half)
- 1 apple with skin (cut into wedges)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup oats (use gluten free if needed)
- 1/4 cup shelled walnuts
- 1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 dashes cinnamon
- 3 dashes allspice
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup ice
- Place all ingredients in the blender. Blend, stopping the machine to push the fruit into the blades with a tamper if needed. Blend until smooth and you can't detect the oat texture.