If I could name one dietary change that has helped me the most, it’s having vegan smoothies for breakfast instead of cereal. They energize me and help me lose weight (17 pounds so far over the last 10 months).
For anyone who is unfamiliar with the term “vegan,” it refers to foods without animal products. So, I use almond milk, and usually a banana, as the base for my smoothies. From there, I might add in other fruit, some nuts or chia seeds, and perhaps vanilla extract.
The smoothie I’m sharing with you today features a banana, walnuts, cantaloupe or honeydew melon, and a bit of vanilla extract. Yum!
Just throw it all into a blender with ice and a cup of almond milk, and give it a whirl. I love that it’s refreshing and sweet (make sure your banana is ripe.)
This makes a tall glass, plus a little extra. I just drink it all and then have a mid-morning snack to last me until lunchtime.
I do not miss cereal at all.
Melon Creamsicle Smoothie
- 1 ripe, peeled banana (cut in two halves)
- 2/3 cup honeydew or cantaloupe melon chunks
- 1/4 cup shelled walnuts
- 1 cup almond milk (I like Silk Light)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- If starting with a whole melon, wipe it clean with a damp paper towel. Place the melon on a cutting board and use a long, sharp knife to cut it in half, from stem to root end. Scoop out the membrane and seeds with a spoon and discard them. Place a melon half face down and cut it vertically into 1.5-inch wide slices. Take one of the slices and use a small knife to cut off the skin and a bit of the dark flesh of the fruit, which you will discard. Cut the remaining slice into chunks.
- Place ingredients into a blender, cover, and mix on high speed until smooth.
Recipe source: Cooking with Mamma C