You'll love Mom's Green Beans with Bread Crumbs! They're buttery, cheesy and delicious.
These Green Beans with Bread Crumbs are one of my favorite side dishes that Mom makes! Green beans are cooked until almost done (by boiling or microwaving), and then sautéed briefly with melted butter and cheesy Homemade Italian Bread Crumbs.
I'm pretty sure if you looked up veggie comfort food, you'd find a picture of these green beans. I could make a meal out of them and not miss a thing.
I wouldn't recommend it though. It's a texture thing.
Homemade breadcrumbs, however, provide that "wow" factor. The bonus is that if you prepare the bread crumbs ahead of time, it will take 15 minutes or less to get these green beans on the table.
Or heck, just stand at the stove and eat them out of the pan. I'll understand completely.
More recipes like this
- Baked Breaded Eggplant
- Broccoli Au Gratin with Fontina
- Italian Green Beans with Tomatoes
- Italian Chicken Cutlets
- Italian Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas
- 33 Italian Side Dishes (Contorni)
And don't miss this Italian Potato Salad with Green Beans!
(Recipe Source: Adapted from my Mom)
Green Beans with Bread Crumbs
- 14 ounces frozen whole green beans (I use Hanover) or fresh green beans (if fresh, ends snapped off)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs with Parmesan (see Cooking with Mamma C's recipe for Homemade Italian Bread Crumbs)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- If using frozen green beans, microwave them in a heat-safe bowl for two minutes less than the package directions state. (If using fresh green beans, rinse them and boil in a small amount of water for 10 minutes, or until almost cooked to your liking.) Drain any water used in cooking.
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the pre-cooked green beans and the bread crumb mixture to the pan and toss with a spoon to coat evenly. Continue stirring for 3-5 minutes, or until green beans and bread crumbs are cooked to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.