You can make these Cheesy Baked BBQ Chicken Breasts in 30 minutes! If you love BBQ chicken pizza, but don't want all the carbs, this is for you! You'll love this flavorful chicken breast recipe that has just five ingredients, plus seasoning!
Say "Hello" to one of my easiest, tastiest recipes. I'm willing to bet once you try these Cheesy Baked BBQ Chicken Breasts, you'll make them again and again!
Think tender, juicy baked chicken, sticky BBQ sauce, melted mozzarella and roasted red onions...yum!
It captures the flavors of BBQ chicken pizza, minus the high carbs. Each serving of this baked BBQ chicken has just 17 grams of carbs.
The best part is, you can crank out this dish in 30 minutes. And it only has five ingredients, besides salt and pepper.
This is one of those no-brainer recipes that doesn't require measuring. (But don't worry, I provided specific amounts in the recipe card.)
It uses common household ingredients. And, it'll save you from yet another expensive takeout or delivered meal.
Speaking of meals that save you, don't miss these 29 Thinly Sliced Chicken Breast Recipes!
Chicken breasts: We're using boneless, skinless chicken breasts here. Buy the thick ones. I haven't tested this with thin cutlets, which will cook more quickly.
If you want to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, that should work. But, you won't have as much surface area for your toppings.
Barbecue sauce: Go ahead and use your favorite bottled or homemade BBQ sauce. I love Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue Sauce (unsponsored affiliate link). I still haven't perfected my own BBQ sauce recipe (gasp!)
Mozzarella: If you shred the mozzarella cheese yourself, it'll melt better than the pre-shredded cheese in a package. But, use what you have.
We love this chicken with mozzarella, but you could try substituting cheddar, provolone or Swiss cheese.
Red onion: Thinly sliced red onions provide subtly sweet flavor and a slight crunch when baked on the chicken. They're my first choice for this dish, but you could use yellow or white onions in a pinch.
How to make it
It's so easy to cook BBQ chicken breasts in the oven!
See the card at the end of this post for the full recipe, but here's an overview.
- Season the chicken breasts.
- Spread on your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Sprinkle on shredded mozzarella.
- Place slices of red onion on top.
Then, you'll bake the chicken breasts uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
Done! You'll love this easy chicken dinner.
- Don't overcook the chicken breasts, or they'll turn out dry. Check for doneness after 25 minutes using an instant meat thermometer (affiliate link) to see if they've reached 165 degrees F.
- Let the baked chicken breasts rest for a few minutes covered loosely with foil before slicing into them. This will help keep them juicy.
What to serve with it
If you're watching carbs, you can serve the BBQ chicken breasts with The Best Italian Green Salad. In fact, I love slicing up this leftover chicken to enjoy in a salad for lunch.
Otherwise, serve the chicken with this five-minute Italian Bean Salad and Steamed Asparagus or Steamed Corn on the Cob for a complete, 30-minute dinner.
If you've got extra time, these Oven-Roasted Potatoes bake at the same temperature and would work really well here. Of course, Deviled Egg Potato Salad or Italian Potato Salad with Green Beans also would be delicious for your BBQ chicken dinner.
And, you can definitely serve this oven-baked BBQ chicken in a hot, toasty sandwich. Oooh, that sounds good.
Frequently asked questions
Bake chicken breasts for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F. Check to see if they're done, and if not, cook an additional five minutes. Don't overbake, or the chicken will be dry.
Chicken breasts should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F when done. Use an instant meat thermometer to check at the thickest part of the breast.
More recipes like this
- 4-Ingredient BBQ Chicken
- Super Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
- Italian Chicken Cutlets (The Best!)
- Shredded Buffalo Chicken Nacho Salad
- One-Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs and Vegetables
- Easy Sausage and Peppers in the Oven
If you try these Cheesy Baked BBQ Chicken Breasts, be sure to leave a comment and a rating!
Cheesy Baked BBQ Chicken Breasts
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 breasts, 6-8 ounces each, so up to 2 pounds total)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ⅔ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2.5 ounces red onion (⅓ of a red onion)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking pan lightly with oil (or use an ungreased cast iron pan). Place the chicken in the pan.
- Combine the salt, pepper and garlic powder in a tiny bowl. Season the chicken by pinching the spice mixture between your fingers and sprinkling it evenly on each piece of chicken.
- Place 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce on each breast and spread the sauce over the chicken with the back of your spoon.
- Shred the mozzarella if needed. Sprinkle about 2 ½ tablespoons of shredded mozzarella over the entire surface of each breast, using all of the cheese.
- If starting with a whole red onion, peel it and cut it in half. Start making thin slices and place 5 or six slices of onion on each chicken breast. (You'll use about ⅓ of a whole onion.)
- Bake the chicken for 25 minutes, uncovered. Check to see if it's done by using an intstant meat thermometer to see if it has reached 165 degrees F. If you don't have a thermometer, cut open a thick piece to make sure it's no longer pink inside. If needed, bake for another five minutes before checking it again. Don't overbake, or the chicken will be dry.
- Let the chicken rest on the stove, covered loosely with foil, for a few minutes before cutting into it. This will keep it juicy. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to four days. This also freezes well.
(Recipe Source: Cooking with Mamma C. Originally published on March 10, 2017 and updated now with new photos and additional information.)
This is so cheesy and really delicious! A new favorite at my house!
Hi Toni - We love this too! Thanks for letting me know.